Dandelion Vegan Honey
Like many people, at first I thought that bee honey was vegan and that the process of making honey was actually harmless for bees, but that's not always the case.
Dandelion is a great option to make delicious natural vegan honey and if you don't tell, people may not even notice the difference!
For 1 jar of dandelion honey
- 100 grams of dandelion flowerheads (2 cups). To avoid bitterness try to remove all the green parts of the dandelion.
- 1.5 cups of water
- 2 slices of lemon
- 1.5 cups of coconut sugar or any other organic sugar
1. Put the dandelions, lemon, and water in a pan and simmer with a lid for 15 minutes (don't add the sugar yet)
2. Pour it into a glass bowl and leave it steep overnight
3. The next day, strain it with a strainer or muslin cloth. Press it down with a spoon to extract all the liquid
4. Put the liquid in a pan and add the sugar. Make sure you have equal parts sugar and liquid. You can measure it with the cup to confirm.
5. Stir until the sugar is dissolved, then cook uncovered and bring it to a gentle boil for 15 minutes.
6. Let it simmer until you have a syrupy consistency. Dip your spoon and if it drips you have a syrup!
7. Pour it into a sterilized jar while the mixture is still hot and put the lid on.
8. Let it cool
If the jar is well sealed, it should last about 2 years in the fridge.